Please Help Haiti After the Devastating Earthquake


Tens of thousands of people were feared dead in Haiti’s catastrophic earthquake, with many buried or trapped in demolished schools, hospitals and hillside shanties in the impoverished capital.  Benedict XVI is appealing for aid for victims of the earthquake that devastated Haiti and killed the archbishop of the Port-au-Prince Archdiocese.

Archbishop Joseph Serge-Miot was reported dead after the Tuesday earthquake that measured 7.0 on the Richter scale.   Father Andre Siohan, a missionary of the French St. Jacques Society, e-mailed the Missionary International Service News Agency a few hours after the quake, which was centered less than 10 miles from Port-au-Prince, the country’s capital.  “Nou atè nèt,” the priest wrote, which means in Creole, “We are on our knees.”  “I went to the city center this morning to visit the other religious communities,” he said. “The area is completely devastated and there are thousands of victims.”  “It is terrible,” Father Siohan said.  The missionaries reported finding the lifeless body of the 61-year-old archbishop under the rubble. The Haitian-born prelate had been leading the archdiocese since 1997. The report noted that there was also no sign of the vicar general, Monsignor Seguiranno Benoit.

If you wish to help you may do so through Catholic Relief Services. Click here.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons